Two hundred years ago, Earls Court was a collection of hamlets and grand estates in rural Middlesex clustered around Counter’s Creek.
Like all the 55 tributaries that once flowed down to the Thames, this ‘lost river’ has shaped the history of this part of London. Its waters created rich and fertile soil and the area became known for its market gardens where fruit, vegetables and flowers were grown. These were taken to Covent Garden market every day by horse-drawn cart to feed the increasingly prosperous capital.
Normand House (pictured above) was built on what is now Lillie Road in 1649. It was bombed heavily during World War II and demolished. Normand Park was created on the site.
Tell us about the history of the area
We’d like to record the heritage of the local area and reference its legacy in The Earls Court Project. Tell us about its famous local residents and landmarks by registering and posting comments.